FAQs ABOUT HUNTING IN SOUTH AFRICA
We have included a list of our most frequently asked questions, to help you plan your hunting trip to Africa. If you have questions that are not covered in the information below, please feel free to contact us and one of our friendly staff will assist you.
Which documents do I require to hunt at Thorndale Safari?
- American (USA) citizens need a valid passport to enter the Republic of South Africa
- European citizens need a valid passport and an entry visa for the Republic of South Africa
If you plan to bring your own rifle, you will also need an SAPS permit for the import and export of your own rifle to and from South Africa (Download SAPS 520 application form)
- Importation of firearms documentation
- Firearm license or proof of ownership
- Proof of export from your country of origin
- A return airline ticket
When is the best time to hunt in South Africa?
What clothing items should I pack?
What weapon(s) should I bring for my hunting trip?
- A .243 rifle is suitable for small to medium game
- A .270 rifle is suitbale as an all-round weapon
- Up to a .300 WIN MAG rifle is suitable for larger animals
For those who do not have a weapon, please check our pricelist for rifle hire rates.
We highly recommend using a firearms clearing service at Oliver Thambo (Johannesburg) International Airport or Cape Town International Airport.
Please note: Semi-automatic and automatic weapons are not allowed into South Africa.
Which vaccinations do I require?
How do I get to Thorndale?
ENQUIRE ABOUT YOUR NEXT HUNT
Warning: The account for needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 2, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page